Looking for the Best Way to Clean Your Tile and Grout?
If your home is a few years old and your beautiful ceramic tile floors are looking dingy then it may be time to have them professionally cleaned. Pets, kids and lots of foot traffic is often blamed for those unsightly black grout lines, but yet we never actually walk “inside” the actual grout channel. So then the question is: What really causes our grout lines to look awful?
Simply stated, its our MOPPING! Every time we mop our floors we leave behind lots of soil and residue. If we don’t change the mop water often enough then we are simply spreading soil from our mop bucket to our floor. Second, if we don’t “thoroughly” rinse the cleaners from the floor, then they will remain there after the water evaporates. And last, no matter how well we clean and rinse your floor there is always some residue build-up left behind. It’s only a matter of time before we have to remove the unsightly buildup.
Tile and Grout Cleaning Process:
- Vacuum or sweep any dry particulate soil from the floor
- Apply a professional tile cleaning solution that contains heavy duty degreasers and a high ph necessary to break down all the residues on the floor.
- Allow the solution 10 to 15 minutes of dwell time before agitating.
- Scrub the tile with a floor machine and use either a green pad or stiff nylon brush.
- Scrub the grout lines with a “grout brush” specially designed to loosen up the soil at the bottom of the grout channel.
- Pressure rinse all the solution and soil off the tile and grout with about 1000 psi neutral ph rinse solution and a spinner tool.
- Air Dry the floor.
- Repeat steps 1 thru 7 if necessary.
- Seal the grout with heavy duty sealer.
Common Misconceptions about Tile Cleaning:
In my line of work, I hear a lot of home remedies that cause more harm than good. I’ll list them below:
- Clean your tile and grout with vinegar and water.
- Only use “water” to mop your floor
- Only mop with bleach
- Don’t mop your tile and grout
- Scrub your grout with “Bar Keepers Friend”
The recommendations stated above do not work and can lead to costly repairs. Do yourself a favor and avoid these practices. Have your tile and grout professionally cleaned once a year and be sure to seal those grout lines.
Incoming search terms:
- best way to clean tile grout in your home
- best way to clean grout at home
- what is the easiest way to clean grout
- easy way to clean grout tile
- best way to clean urine from grout
- how long do we keep barkeepers friend on grout
- how to get residue build up off of tile floors
- mopping floors without spreading dirt more
- mops and buckets las cruces nm
- what if we dont clean your tiles